Wednesday 17 February 2010

'Net savvy users

Muskoka's FYCSM provides much help to young people in our region. One place where they can get into trouble is on-line.

I agree with all Jayne has written here:  At what cost? But I think that vulnerable kids are going to get into trouble no matter where there are: on the streets or on-line.

This past week OPP have issued an important alert: The OPP Crime Prevention Section has a number of tip sheets for both parents and children relating to safe Internet use at opp.ca
What parents can do to protect their children:
  • Be involved and know your child's online activity
  • Keep the computer in an open area of the home
  • Remind children to protect their passwords; encourage them not to share passwords with friends
  • Use caution with web cams, unplug web cams when they're not in use and;
  • Be sure of who they're talking to before allowing them to turn on a web cam
  • Make sure children are cautious with what they post online
  • Know their online friends the same way they know friends in real life 
My kids are pretty 'net savvy, and have managed to maintain their values in the on-line presence. I am proud that whatever they tackle, they bring these values to what they do. As a teacher, I tried to instill these values in students. I did a lot of work on Internet Safety with them. Their parents didn't 'get it', and I talked to them about what could happen and how to be careful.

As a member of society, I have often privately e-mailed young people asking is they mean to reveal whatever sensitive things they have written to potential bosses, or their grandmothers. It makes them think!

I have confidence that the kids who understand these values, are not swayed by the trash on MySpace. I, too, have a Facebook page, but like all fads, I find that my 25,27 and 30-yr. old 'children', are not using it much anymore as their real lives take precedence. I do keep in contact with my 2-yr. granddaughter on Skype. She thinks my 1st name is 'kype!

"Gamma 'kype?" she'll ask my daughter, wanting to 'talk' to Gramma!

3 comments:

b+ (Retire In Style Blog) said...

This is so true. I am a technology user, parent, grandparent, teacher (retired). If it were not for
Skype we would forget what our family looks like!

I write a blog for retirees called Retire in Style...you may find something of interest that you can help me with. I will link to your blog there.

b

http://www.retireinstyleblog.com

Yogi♪♪♪ said...

Online safety for children is so important. The parents need to get on board also.

Cloudia said...

good post!


Aloha, Jenn


Comfort Spiral