Saturday 27 February 2010

Drip, drip, drop...

 No April showers, especially not in our house. Our hot water tank has succumbed to old age - it leaks from an internal orifice, and from a week of only tepid water, showers are now 'manly', as hubby said. I did a great work out, and then leapt into the tub, only to find that our tepid water is now cool. 

Our high speed has been wonky, too.  I am so behind in my blogging world. My little link to the bigger world around me.

But I cannot complain. No earthquakes. Deep infrastructure. Many, many people who make this place a grand place to live, work and play. In ALL seasons! Dark clouds, with sunshine peeking through.
 I love the melting water on the Precambrian Shield.


In Gravenhurst they are repairing culverts just in time for spring, and the Ontario Winter Games. Last year this spot flooded, as it does every year - right beside the Muskoka Wharf.


I went for a walkabout on the lake. Stepping gingerly, I could see a wet spot ahead.

The island looks so pretty in close up.
The darkness on top of the water is a bit disconcerting. I took a photo of my footsteps, you can see how they filled with water!


The sledders better be careful. You can see where THEIR tracks filled with water, in shallower parts of the lake, especially where it moves: between islands, or where it drains in and out of the body of water.
And in a close-up look what I spotted as a bit of foreshadowing of things to come!  Here, let me get closer:



This video falls into the 'driving at the speed of stupid' category, my friend, Cindy Smith, likes to mention. If you watch it on YouTube, you'll find a LOT of related videos of those who like to celebrate this type of drive. Me, I'd be so embarrassed! Of course, it it were the family sled, the kid would be grounded till doomsday!

4 comments:

Lorac said...

I too had a mosquito on my screen. What is with theses hardy Canadian mosquitoes! I love to see the frozen "water falls" on the rock cuts of the shield.!

Yogi♪♪♪ said...

Be careful on your walkabouts.

Is that a mosquito!?

Deb said...

Those look like Snow Fleas. Apparently, they have been in abundance this season throughout Muskoka. There was a discussion about them on the Muskoka Bird Board.
http://www.b2g3.com/boards/board.cgi?action=read&id=1266287598&user=muskokabirdboard

Deb said...

Stand corrected. The insect is a snow mosquito, also in abundance this winter.