Saturday 2 January 2010

Snowmobiles give me that sinking feeling

They sink from Muskoka to Quebec to Minnesota! Not only snowmobiles, but trucks on melted ice!
This seems to be the big draw for kids...

Aerators and Bubblers

The purpose of aerators and bubblers is to keep water from freezing around docks foundations. Supposedly, they keep ice melted.

But  Do They Work?  The short answer is no.
They do keep the water from freezing around the dock crib. But the most significant threat is in the spring...
"and it comes in a way that pretty much laughs at the small unfrozen areas around an aerated dock. As explained on our "Ice behaviors" page."


Yet, young people continue to play with danger.

What amazes me is that they post the video to show everyone how stupid their buddies were!


From snow machines to trucks, to pets running about.




Then there are pets in danger due to stupidity.


This snowmobile Sinks in Open Water

This one sinks, too....




Then there are the trucks




3 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Jenn,
I appreciate your post. I have seen many tragedies over the years due to people travelling on thin ice.

This Is My Blog - fishing guy said...

Jenn: I'm not brave on the ice, it has to be thick even for me alone.

Anonymous said...

Oh gosh, that is some scary stuff.

Hailing as I do from Southern Africa and more recently the UK, places unfamiliar with real winter, Canuck style, I must admit to being in awe of Canadian winters and Canadian attitudes to what was for me a magical, beautiful yet dangerous phenomenon.

I think I am actually missing my winter fix this year. Well, perhaps a week of it would suffice!