Saturday 23 January 2010

Sitting by the lake




What a glorious day we have had.

Hubby doing shopping errands. He's the best hubby ever!

I chopped some wood into kindling and vaccuumed. Broke a nail chopping wood. I guess it could have been worse! Really.

I have two workshops to prepare, and they are nearly done!

So I took some time off. I 'spose, when you are retired ...well, I digress!

I must admit to sitting by the lake, in the sun, reading a book. I *did* my chores! I know my late mom wouldn't be happy with the state of the place.
But I had a cat to walk!


Sady was my buddy, watching the machines zip by. (Oliver sleeping up in the rafters.)

The animal tracks dot the snow like freckles.  Squirrels hop around like kooks, looking for their buried peanuts. Wee little brain cells!
'Where did I put that last one?'


The lake is an endless sheet of white, except for the animal tracks.





The lichen grows, moist with melting snow.
The pine and the birch are beautiful.

The snow melts into the lake. The edge of the ice is wet where dark rocks have heated up. I can hear the ice groan as the wind blows over it. The lake level is down, and the ice has shifted.


The colours intrigue me. Pink granite rock, soft green lichen, and white birch framed by the green hemlock.

7 comments:

Tracey said...

LOVING your pics Jill, especially the bird ones :)Your views of the lake look sooo similar to mine...I would almost think we are neighbours!

Yogi♪♪♪ said...

Great post. You had me believing that it was almost warm up there.

Sad statistics on your side bar.

Lucy said...

Yes, we had a glorious day! My sis and I were out taking photos all day. It's just nice to be outside!

Powell River Books said...

Looks like Sady likes her bench seat view. I guess Vancouver is having snow problems for the venues on the lower slopes. I heard they are trucking in hay to use under snow they have "stockpiled" for emergency needs. Unless we get some cold weather soon it will be an emergency for the snowboarding. - Margy

Cathy Olliffe-Webster said...

Enjoyed today's post, Jenn. Your pictures are so pretty. And I love the blue jay photo... they're so squawky and happy! It was beautiful today but a little on the chilly side.

Jenn Jilks said...

It *was* a glorious day outside. Today we expect rain, from a Chinook, but one cannot appreciate the sun without the rainy days! The ice is pretty thick, with snow on top. Neighbours have a skating rink cleared off. So much fun!
Thank you for your kind compliments. For a non-profit blog my visitors make me connected to the rest of the world!
Poor old Vancouver, Margy. Our fingers are crossed.

Jenn Jilks said...

And the stats are sad, Yogi. Multiply them by ten for the US, though. It is the cost of that thrill.