Sunday 17 January 2010

Rushing water soothes

The lake levels are up, as the warm land melts the snow.
The Precambrian Shield rock weeps. Massive rock cuts characterize this region. The old roads, wide enough for only one cart, have been replaced by modern, two-lane highways. This required blasting, and you can see the vertical striations from this activity.

I remember the blasting, when up at 'the cottage' when I was a child. It sent rattlesnakes our way, as they tried to escape the blasting.

The ice build-up is very interesting. The sun comes out, melts the snow on top, and warms the dark rock.

These are 'drive-by shootings' and the quality lacks a certain professionalism, but I am, after all, an amateur!


The rock layers are obvious, with the beautiful pink striations. Rock Girl (daughter- hydrogeologist) is on vacation this w/e, otherwise she'd help me with the technical terms!

I'll get back to you on that.
You can see in the colours of the ice, how easy it is for pollution to wash off the rock, as the soil dissolves into the melted snow, only to appear again in the ice.
This ice has a tinge of blue.



Yet, the warmer temperatures these last few days inspire caution during activities.
The water is deceiving, as the river water is still flowing along the middle of the Moon River. (Yes, there is one in Bala, Ontario!)


You can see where the swamp above the river drains, below, on a previously sunny day. The water flows even on a day with double-digit negative temperatures.



Be careful out there!





With the recent warm temperatures, the water rushes through the region. This is the water at the Bala falls on a slow day in winter! Check out my YouTube video for the sound!
It is a powerful force, adding to the sensory experience of Muskoka.

4 comments:

Yogi♪♪♪ said...

I admire you for just getting out. You are one tough lady.

Gaelyn said...

I like the way the snow drapes the striated rocks. Looks cold even with the melting.

Judy said...

Lovely photos of the ice and rocks! These have fascinated me for years, but I have not gotten any decent photos of them! I guess that means I need to keep trying!

Jenn Jilks said...

Thank you, Yogi!
It is a damp kinda cold, Gaelyn. And the rock colours fascinate me.

I just have to make a point of getting out of the car, Judy, and taking the shots. I see a possible shot, and think, 'next time', but seize the day!