Wednesday 2 December 2009

A Sight for Sore Eyes

Yes, it is fine to still see our feathered friends. I watched a flight of geese wing their way over my head. They are still feeding in the parks, but not as frequently. For that reason, it is time to visit the book store and the library. The rain is splatting today - not quite sleet, not quite rain or snow, and it is delicious to curl up with a good book. I have mentioned my book signing, and found some good deals at this 2nd Hand book store. I spent more than I earned... :-)
How good for the environment to share the wealth of the printed word in this fashion, though.
[IMG_1074.jpg]I bought a used copy of Ruth Rendell's A Sight for Sore Eyes (1998), at Book Stop and had a lovely treat. Set in the delightful land of my grandparents, England, it is a terrific trip. It begins, as these mysteries do, with murder, and evolves into a creepy thriller. The kind I can read, without the blood and gore of modern films, and enjoy sometime in the warm house.   
Three plot lines merge, and for those who think while they read - well I don't try to predict, I just devour the words, a sight for sore eyes, as fast as I can!  A central image in the novel is a modern painting of another protagonist, Harriet Oxenholme, based on Rembrandt's 1664 painting The Jewish Bride. Clever, creative and incredibly sad characters. I feel pity and hatred as they move through the pages of this book. I loved it!
Ruth Rendell is an award-winning UK novelist. I am sure I need only remind you that she has a ton of books in three categories: She also writes as Barbara Vine, and created the Chief Inspector Wexford novels, as well as the 18 listed inside the cover: in this group of mysteries here are 3:
    Available at
  • The Keys to the Street
  • Blood Lines
  • Master of the Moor

Click icon for more book review blogs @Barrie Summy Book Review #11

6 comments:

Rinkly Rimes said...

Thank you for following my Blog. I see you are a very well-read lady, and I'll be visiting you blog in the New Year to get ideas for my Book Group. I'm not a great reader myself, but I love the group discussions.

Barrie said...

Jenn, got your link squared away. Thanks. And...I love a UK mystery!

pattinase (abbott) said...

She is certainly one of the most prolific writers of our times. And I have read most of them.

Sarahlynn said...

I, too, love British mysteries. Sounds fun!

Keri Mikulski said...

Sounds good.. Thanks! :)

Sarah Laurence said...

An English mystery without gore and with art sounds delightful. Nice review!