Saturday 5 December 2009

Captured a tree rat!


Can you see it?
AKA Freddy Flying Squirrel.

When I let cat #3 back in the house last night, I looked over at the 'bird' feeder (bucket!) and the little critter jumped up onto the branch. Of course, I grabbed the camera...

and my boots!
The snow squalls had stopped for the time being.

You can just see his ears peeking out. A fuzzy shot - I have to yank open the door, keeping the cats indoors, and focus quickly. Didn't succeed, obviously.

If you look closely, you can see they are having a meeting about the two-legged one that was interrupting their dinner!


Last February, 2009, I captured them on film.

They are hilarious: rather ADHD, bopping in and out of the videocam frame...and, NO, they don't fly, but glide.

10 comments:

Dianne said...

great shots!!

Gaelyn said...

I thought they looked like flying squirrels. Pretty darn cute.

eileeninmd said...

Cute critters, I never heard of tree rats. Great photos.

Lucy said...

Cute little guy... Glad you got the shots.

Cloudia said...

Great captures, Jenn


Aloha, Friend!


Comfort Spiral

Powell River Books said...

I was with Gaelyn, are they related to flying squirrels? They look and act so much alike. - Margy

Anonymous said...

That was great watching them bop in and out. And the cat so interested, too.

Jenn Jilks said...

Yes, they are flying squirrels! I have an ex-boyfriend who used to call them 'tree rats'!

I wanted to create a post title that would capture attention! I tell people they shouldn't believe everything they read on the Internet! I have edited the post...

Crafty Green Poet said...

very cute little things aren't they? The video is hilarious....

Jenn Jilks said...

Thanks, Crafty. They really do bop in and out, up and down. So funny!