Thursday 12 November 2009

First Nations in Muskoka


The earliest recorded Indian habitation of our province is 6,000 to 7,000 BC, on Manitoulin Island. As I read about Port Hope, I understood how tribes and nations practiced their dance.

The Six Nations is a confederacy, or league of nations, comprised of the Mohawk, Oneida, Onondaga, Cayuga, Seneca an Tuscarora nations. Each nation speaks its own dialect of the same language group. 

The word, 'Wahta', is Mohawk (see this language guide) for sugar maple, the trees that cover this territory. First named the Gibson Reserve, from Gibson Lake where the people originally settled, the Mohawk word, Wahta,  reflects more of the culture and traditions of the people.


Aside from their brilliant regalia, their language, culture and traditions, I most admire the deep respect and their powerful connection with nature. You can spot it, as you drive through the reserve and see these wonderful signs! If only our highway travellers WOULD slow for the snakes and turtles.

In Bala, with a phenomenal Band administration building, programs are run by families with names that go back many years, to the original founders of Wahta in 1881.

With a history of abuse and racist attitudes, those who have taken children away to residential schools should bow their heads in shame.

Sid Commandant, 79: `Rough and tumble' leader


Long ago, the people settled in this area, in winter, when the climate was inhospitable. Wahta has their own cranberry bog, as well as a water bottling plant. The people have worked hard to create a viable community. It is with deep respect that I present these photos.

It was with pleasure that we joined them in their Remembrance Day ceremony at the Cenotaph. It was a privilege to stand, as a guest, on this land and share our grief over lives lost and the soldiers who served.
For more information, an excellent historical document exists, available from the Band (wahta.ca), that includes first person stories of the original Wahta band members.

5 comments:

Gaelyn said...

I love the sign. Even if there aren't snakes it would get attention to watch for wildlife.

Nice to go to a native celebration and feel there connection to the earth.

Gill - That British Woman said...

I wanted to say thank you for the link to your You Tube video on signs, what made that even more interesting was I recognised a lot of the places. Somewhere on my blog there is a sign for turtles crossing, which is nearly as neat as the snakes crossing, though not as icky!!

Gill

joared said...

Reading this reminds me of the Tuscarawas River area in Ohio.

Susannah Anderson said...

Wow! I'm glad I found this! I was born in Wáhta, back then known as Gibson's Reserve, long, long ago. My dad was the school teacher and the pastor, back in 1941-42. He mentioned Bala in his stories of that time.

I went to the Language project page, and found Dad's favourite word; we grew up hearing it. "óksa", meaning 'hurry up".

I've bookmarked the page.

Susannah Anderson said...

Adding to the last comment; Dad loved teaching in Gibson; he often told us about his time there. (And about the winters; wolves, snow halfway up the door, a day's hike into town, being rescued once when he got too cold to make it home ...)

Looking over the names on the language site, I remembered the name Sahanatien. Dad's friends would be long gone, by now.

I remember my babysitter's name; Mom said it was the first word I said. I have no idea how it is written, but it is more or less GnEctawa. She'd be in her eighties now, if she's still around.