Tuesday 3 November 2009

the nocturnal flying squirrel


Blog buddy, Griz, nodded his head, and his shutter, to the Hunter's Moon of last night. I was busy herding cats. They sit, fascinated with the nocturnal flying squirrels (left). I leave the spotlight on, hoping it deters both predator and prey. (AS IF!)

I would love to get them in before nightfall. I really do not want to be hearing a 'meow' at 2 a.m. when my felines tire of the sport!

In the meantime, with the season brings Lake Effect Snow, see last year's Numb in November post. Be careful out there. Be prepared. Tonight promises to be cold, with subzero temperatures. We had major snow on Nov. 18th last year! Today, the highway was closed after a death and snow squalls.

My early morning reflected the sunrise, with the black clouds headed southeast. No doubt, these are the clouds that lay down the weather for Honey harbour.

Snowsqualls lead to fatal crash north of Barrie

A chain reaction crash on Highway 400 stemming from a snow squall is a stark reminder that winter driving conditions are almost here, says an OPP officer.

Alas, the dark pond is quiet, yet the odd ripple lets me know the minnows still stir. Frogs are frozen in the mud, dreaming of summer's feast.

Dew drips off of the preparatory buds, we know spring will come!
Plan ahead, be prepared.


But we know that clouds, like these harbingers of November precipitation, will dominate our future!

4 comments:

Sue said...

I notice you mentioned the absentee rate of schools in your area. We had about 15% away last week but it is now dwindling...I think (I hope) we have peaked. We had one death in Niagara Falls (about 20 minutes away) It was a woman in her 40's with underlying health concerns.

How is everybody doing health wise in your household? We are doing fine here (touch wood)

Yogi♪♪♪ said...

Sub zero temperatures!! I then calmed down assuming that you meant sub 0 Celsius temperatures. Is that right, or should I get excited again?

Jenn Jilks said...

We're well, Sue. How about you? We haven't the contact with crowds, other than our volunteer work. Thank you for asking

Yogi, I keep forgetting I have US (F.) readers! Yes, we expect -4 C. tonight, 24 F.!

Judy said...

i love the photo of the squirrel in the ?basket?!!!
i have an indoor only cat now - living in the suburbs, it is the rational choice. i know the fellow next door wished my outdoor cat, now sadly departed, would stop napping in his boat and leaving all the cat hair behind! he got a boat cover after a couple of months!!