Saturday 24 October 2009

two-fisted drinkers

As the sun set on a cloudy day, the leaves were falling along with the rain.

I hustled out to bring the bird feeders in before the raccoons attacked them.

I didn't make it!





Today, as I write this, more rain. I laughed aloud as I spotted Mr. Red Squirrel sitting in my homemade (plastic pop bottle) 'bird feeder'  inhaling sunflower seed, under his plastic umbrella. No photo. I was laughing too hard.

The leaves continue to fall.

Many of us eagerly anticipate real winter.

Things ramp up when the ice freezes over, ice fishing and such.

It is a great winter town, really, as many with better backs than ours curl, and then there is the Bala Trek (Xmas thingie), as well as three churches with Christmas Concerts.

Most of us do a lot of volunteer work, and help out one another. The children play hockey and skate. The Legion is an ongoing concern, and many take the winter to refresh and renew as they fly south for a time.

I love the pattern of the leaves on the deck, with its 3 replacement boards of a blond persuasion.

In the meantime, this is who I spotted across the lake. I wonder which season is open?


3 comments:

Gaelyn said...

The fall leaves make a beautiful carpet on your deck. It looks rather cold for fishing. I love your commitment to community and can sense you excitement over the change to winter.

This Is My Blog - fishing guy said...

Jenn: The little chipmunks are the real stealers from my near feeder, and my far feeder gets way more squirrels.

Jenn Jilks said...

It is a sad state of affairs, but the cats have pretty much blown apart the chipmunk population! We have a ton of squirrels. They are faster than the cats!