Monday 19 October 2009

My World Tuesday: CHANGE

MWT White


It's getter cooler and cooler. Until today.
I have appreciated the compliments on my header shot (below) but in the interests of honesty, I have shown the fog as it dances on the water in the morning. The leaves have dropped their fall finery into the lake. Preparing us for the changes to come: the muted colours of winter, the stark blanket of white on the frozen lake. I laud the change. It is only with change that we live and learn.


Nothing endures but change.
--Haraclitus
If anything is certain, it is that change is certain. The world we are planning for today will not exist in this form tomorrow.
--Philip Crosby, Reflections on Quality
 These quotes I featured on one of my papers, Teacher Morale, Stress & Leadership, for my M.Ed..



The new header demonstrates the delicious changes to my world. The light has quickly changed each day, with the winter solstice approaching. The cats sleep in longer, i.e., predawn (5:30 a.m.!).

The coons sleep not at all. Frantic coons ignore me as I attempt to call the cats in the evening.

She hissed at me, much like Eva, the Canada Goose, but kept marching past me on the railing. They are so clever, these critters with the opposable thumbs.

I forgot to bring in the bird feeder last night. I had to practically wrestle it from her claws in the dark. I ended up making one from a pop bottle, as they have destroyed many store-bought ones.

They boldly go where every coon has gone before!

 Despite the frost, we know that life carries on. The coon prints are on the bottom board of the dock, and Oliver's prints at the top. You can compare their size. I spotted a piece of birch bark that floated in on a wind, it captured a feeling for me. A little confirmation that the trees will sleep, but will be reborn in the spring.

Your future depends on many things, but mostly on you.
--Frank Tyger

 How you manage the changes tells something about you and your spirit. Do you flee the winter? Do you embrace it? Do you hibernate, or do you dance on the ice with the cats? Or create art from the opportunity?

The delphinium shines her face the the early morning sun. The painted leaves behind her provide a pointed background. I feared she had left it too late to put on her party dress. The insects sleep, as do the amphibians except for the tadpoles who seek the solace of the sun at the edge of the pond, warmed by the meagre heat of the sun. Beggars cannot be choosers!


Get up early. Make time to enjoy what is around you. Check out the day. Notice the things that change. Oliver is looking for his mice friends, bad example, but the changing light levels fascinate me!

Have a good week in YOUR world!

Your MyWorld Team:
Klaus Sandy Wren Fishing Guy Louise Sylvia

18 comments:

This Is My Blog - fishing guy said...

Jenn: What a fun Fall post, be careful with the coons. If they are too brave they could have a sickness.

Sylvia K said...

What a lovely autumn post! The first shot is stunning! And of course, I love the raccoons, but that's probably because I don't have to deal with them on a regular basis! We a few, but they keep pretty well hidden most of the time.

Have a great week!

Sylvia

Erin said...

i think i am one of the few who likes the change in seasons...fall is always so glorious here in the blue ridge. and winter brings different pleasures to me and photographic opportunities that the other seasons don't. change is a good thing, to me.
so enjoyed your post.

Snap said...

Beautiful shots and thoughts. I love the changing *feel* to the earth this time of year. It is one of the only times that we get a true blue sky here in the city. And the air smells so fresh. Thank you! Have a beautiful week.

eileeninmd said...

Your header photos is lovley and the autumn colors are looking fantastic. Great post, I have the same problems with the coons. I keep my birdseed and feeders in a metal trash can tied down with a bungee cord. So far it works.

Martha Z said...

I did so enjoy this post. It reminded me of when I shared a part of the world with racoons. Those were the same years our sons were growing up so I spent a little time remembering that as well.
Thanks for the memories.

http://zettsett.blogspot.com/ visit if you get a chance.

Jain said...

Beautiful images, Jenn!

Catherine said...

I DO LOVE THE SEASON OF aUTUMN THAT YOU HAVE DOCUMENTED SO DELICATELY - i REALLY MISS THE SEASONS HERE!

Yogi♪♪♪ said...

Autumn is a season of change and reflection. Great post.

Vagabonde said...

You have written a very nice post with great pictures. But as far as change goes, I believe in the saying “Plus ça change, plus c’est la même chose” don’t you think so?

Carver said...

Great post. I love change in the seasons and you showed and described the changes in your world so well.

Bonnie Zieman, M.Ed. said...

A lovely post about the changes in our world and your immediate surroundings. I love seeing the mist on your new header.

And I welcome winter precisely for the reason you mention - I can really concentrate on my art when there is no gardening, yard work, and no imperative to be outside enjoying our all too brief summers.

Gaelyn said...

Love to see the changes happening at your place. That is one very BIG and Bold coon. I do love to experience the changes of fall. But when it comes to winter, I tend to hibernate and create.

Lilli & Nevada said...

Love the whole scene, and those coons are so pretty

Arija said...

A thought provoking and very beautifully presented post.

Carolyn said...

Jenn a beautiful and pensive post with great photos. I struggled with a family of racoons last year and decided to learn about them so that maybe I could beat them at their came....no such luck. If they are not being destructive they are fascinating to watch. Thanks for sharing and have a beautiful week.
Smiles and blessings

Unknown said...

Do I look forward to winter? Why yes, I do! I'm happy I live in Ontario!

Jenn Jilks said...

Fishing GUy is right, but this is 'normal bold' for my raccoons! We don't have any rabies around here.

And, yes, Vagabonde, the more things change... which is why, at my ripe old age, I love change.

Thank you for the kind words.
Thank you for the confirmation and the kindred spirits who like the change! I miss the beginning of the school year, where everything ramps up to a crescendo. The wildlife remind me of my students.