Wednesday 2 September 2009

September- when did that happen?

You may think, since I've spent the better part of the last week up a ladder, I'd hardly notice it. But I did.
September...

And it is true.

There are signs!
I took up the garbage this morning, and managed to put off climbing the ladder and picking up the brush.

The sumac is started to turn.
Back down the drive way to get the camera...

Cold nights and cool days.

I looked closer and found some galls on them.

Critters all over the place!





Of course, as a former elementary teacher, I had to open them up and figure out what was inside.

Sure enough: little teeny aphid colonies.


But since I have spent days scraping, painting and repainting, I am being taken out to dinner.


I must get the paint off of my face!




And my hands.

But the chocolate paint and new white trim looks really great!

Winter, bring it on!!!

4 comments:

Jain said...

Oooh, we have lots of sumac which I must inspect for galls!

We're converting a huge rehab cage to a bunkhouse for guests (no doubt there will be a post about that some day) and it looks like we've chosen the exact same shade of brown! Blends in with the trees nicely, eh? Excellent choice, Jenn!

Jenn Jilks said...

Oh, Jain, it does blend in.

Do you know how to get out from under your finger nails? It is a rich chocolate...

Powell River Books said...

You have been very busy! Yes, fall is creeping up on us. Where has the summer gone. Seems like I just took my first dip in the lake yesterday. We just relocated our second woodrat yesterday. Usually that is an October activity. Maybe we are going to get an early winter - hope not! - Margy

Jain said...

Gosh, just lots of hot soapy water and a nail brush!