Friday 3 July 2009

Skywatch Friday

massive skies in rainbow colours
angels light their lamps --
solitary lifeboat
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The skies are massive; the clouds phenomenal in Lake Superior's bays. The music is by Ian Tamblyn: Days of Sun & Wind. It is bittersweet knowing the Edmund Fitzgerald sank an hour off shore. I spoke to the daughter of a captain of the day. Her father knew the cap't of this ship. It was a terrible tragedy.

1958
On June 7, 1958, the 729-foot Great Lakes ore carrier Edmund Fitzgerald was side-launched into the harbor —signifying the birth of the ship.
www.chroniclet.com
1975
On November 10, 1975, in the most famous shipwreck in Great Lakes history, the Edmund Fitzgerald sank in a treacherous storm on Lake Superior.


Visit more Skywatchers by clicking on the badge for the meme.



2 comments:

Elisabeth's bright side said...

That was really a short life for a ship. Sad story that is. Lake Superior is beautiful but dangerous I understand.

judy in ky said...

Hi Jenn,
I looked at the photo of the Edmund Fitzgerald on your link. I never realized how big it was. Every time I hear the song by Gordon Lightfoot, it makes me feel like crying. Very sad story.