Saturday 11 July 2009

Camera critters #66







Tadpole Spring Peepers - they are still on the frog pond shoreline. When I walk by, they swim like stink for the depths, I am sure the heron has trained them to watch for danger, as well as the raccoons, and snapping turtles.

They are eggs for 10 days, then they hatch and begin their lives.

There seems to have been several broods since spring and the time when we hear their mating calls: May/June. They breed in temporary ponds, where fish cannot survive, according to the Ottawa Field Naturalist Club. I have an article from many years ago.

I wonder when they know that it is time to change. I know how hard it is to change, they sit there on the edge, waiting until they can breathe air. So wee! At risk from all sorts of aquatic and non-aquatic critters. I imagine their sheer numbers ensure survival.

Frogs are omnivores and eat each other, as well as the other frog's offspring. Not so much fun, but reality!

I spotted this frog creeping up on the other one.
The attack frog won, and the other went into the brush.

Then frog #2 proceeded to eat some more of the tadpoles.


Our dragonfly population is doing rather well. Bless the little critters as they protect us from bugs. Worth their weight in gold!
This one I rescued from a spider web. We need all the dragonflies around - the bug population has soared: black flies in May, mosquitoes in June, deer flies in late June, and now the horseflies are out, too. We've got them all!

Our phoebe is doing well. She is nesting in the car port, and seems unperturbed by us, and the cats.
The contractors, insurance adjustors (water damage due to the easvestrophe), and our guests seeom not to bother her.




Visit more camera critters #66 by clicking on the meme badge below.Camera Critters

11 comments:

Jane said...

Great photos:)

Snap said...

Wonderful post full of lots of different critters. Thanks!

Travis Erwin said...

Nice shots. Looks bright and sunny there. We've been 105 or so everyday this week.

said...

Kudos to the dragonflies!

me said...

Jen, off topic, but I read your name in the Globe and Mail today. Did you know you were quoted in article about young people drinking and driving?

This Is My Blog - fishing guy said...

Jenn: Neat photos with a great explanation. I love the dragonfly on the hand.

Tulip said...

lots of frogs there. love the cute little bird, so pretty.

southbrowneyes

Jenn Jilks said...

Mog, Yes, I did know! The reporter interviewed me on the anniversary of the death of the 3 young men last year.

I have written extensively about safety issues in this blog. We see many yahoos on the highway and the water, and have the photos to prove it!

RE: the dragonfly, I know naturalists are not supposed to interfere, but I rescued the poor thing from a spider web, fishing guy! It was showing me some love!

me said...

Keep up your campaign on safety issues Jen. We live near the Trent and regularly see speeding boats and cars. The village is transformed in the summer with vacationers and cottagers. They speed along the road at the back of our house, not even stopping when they knock down and kill our lovely cat. http://deafenedinontario.blogspot.com/2009/06/dude-died-today.html

Unknown said...

Great critter post !!

I remember, as a kid, going out and catching tadpoles and then watching them grow into frogs...

Susan Cook said...

Looks like a great place for seeing all kinds of wildlife. I love all the pond critters. Thanks for sharing.