Friday 12 June 2009

Macrophotography

The sun shines, dragonflies dance on the water, clouds prancing on the horizon.

But if you look deep into the pond, there is much going on...

fish nest beneath the surface, and tadpoles are growing.


What a blessing to be able to capture the beauty of Cottage Country.

I managed to hang my laundry before breakfast in a zen-like meditation. Cup of coffee by my side, I let go the female-guilt of one blessed with a home by the lake, and absorbed the beauty of the day.

As a volunteer over the years I have tried to give back, both financially, spiritually and temporally, what I have been given.

Thinking of nothing but nature, I can smell the wildflowers, hear the birds chirping and see the blue-greens of the contemplative lake.

Lupins are beginning to blossom as a wary duck swim by.

The green pine reflected in the still waters, nary a breeze, with the brown fuzzy hummingbird moths seeking sustenance as they bop from flower to flower.

I have learned lot by participating in various memes - check out the badges on the sidebar. I have learned to look deeply and closely. Macrophotography is a skill and an art I seek to master.

I have learned to look beneath the surface of the water, to step slowly, to be patient, to anticipate while living in the present, but not live in the future hopes of what might never will be.

I do not look behind me, as I know my back is spiritually covered. I know there is no point in looking back. What is...is. What will be...will be.

Luck is when preparation meets opportunity: always charge your batteries and keep you camera handy!

When food comes along, grab it. OK, maybe not such a good idea. This frog was eating one tadpole at a time. The tadpoles frantically cleaning up the pond of bacteria and organisms, like miniature vulture- garbage collectors. Maybe the lesson is in the eye of the beholder: you never know where your enemy lies!

Patch, the snapping turtle, sits warily watching me with his good eye, in patient wait for prey. The minute I appear, he ducks for cover. Not a bad idea on some days! Sometimes you just have to hold your breath and hope the two-legged ones will go away.

Minnows pop to the surface, seeking oxygen or micro-organisms. Leaving nothing behind but their circle of influence - temporal and fleeting, I hope you can make a difference in your life.

3 comments:

Grizz………… said...

All so very true, though like any good woodsman, I do look back to remind myself of the trail—the past informing the present while directing and enriching the future.

Macro (a 1:1 ratio or larger) photography is easy; micro, too, though a bit more involved and obviously, requiring the equipment. Your photography skills are pretty good, if you ask me. And you certainly have the place to practice! Nice post.

Jenn Jilks said...

You are right, Griz. But no sense swelling on the past - I guess that should have been my point!

Thank you for the compliment!

George said...

Both the photos and words are very good. I certainly admire your photography.