Sunday 10 May 2009

a new sighting


It was with great excitement that I spotted a bird I had not seen before.

I scrambled, on a cold, rainy day, to capture a good photo. I did not do well. No matter. Despite living here for three years, and cottaging for (lemme see 2009 - 1960... you do the math) a long time, I have never seen this beautiful creature around here.
grossbeak
A rose breasted grossbeak, my faithful book tells me.

It happily ate the sunflower seed that the $&*# the raccoon, Son-of-Butch, dropped after ripping my bird feeder off of the branch. The bird feeder is broken... with the cold nights (last night was near to zero C.) they are scrambling for food.

Today, the sun is out, laundry is about to go on the mossline, and the cat frolics amongst the moss on the tree roots. He helped me to locate and photograph our trillium plants on our back 40. Meowing to cheer me on. We have about a half dozen trillium blooming. I am hoping hat my one lady slipper will return - hope spring eternal in spring.


My bleeding heart is blooming.

bleeding heart











money plant


My money plant (lunaria - because the seed pods look like moons) is in bloom. I chucked some seeds into the forest last year. A spot where it was bare. They have reseeded and like wonderful.

sumacThe sumac is about to burst with leaves. They look so lovely and fuzzy!

3 comments:

Powell River Books said...

Great catch, maybe if the $%#* raccoon hadn't spilled the seeds he might not have stopped for a snack. Who knows the workings of nature. I just had to tell you that your new banner picture looks like it could have been taken here on Powell Lake, the granite outcroppings, stream and forest scenes here are much the same. Spring has been kinder to us here on the coast. We've had another string of sunny days and warm temps. The trees all have their leaves now and my garden is sprouting. Of course, we still have lots of showers (rain at times) but that's what keeps us wet and green, so I can't complain too much about that. Have a great Mother's Day! - Margy

Jenn Jilks said...

Thanks for commenting, Margy! I love my camera. We need rain - but it is what everyone complains about!

storyteller said...

Lovely photos all ... thanks for sharing.
Hugs and blessings,