Wednesday 1 April 2009

Plain Truth - April Book Review

This is the title of the book I just finished. It is such a glorious pleasure to lie on the couch, cat sleeping comfortably beside me (snoring - she gets that from my husband!), the fire roaring, on a cold, cloudy unSpring-like Muskoka day.

Plain TruthI am privileged. For many years I devoured articles about pedagogy: how to improve, the latest research, how to be more creative in my teaching, how to incorporate music/art/drama/dance (MADD) into curriculum, how to do things I'd done 10 years before...

Lately, I do research that interests me and enjoy, so very much, books by writers for whom I have never been able to find time.

This writer, Jodi Picoult, is a blessing. Her bio reads of a perfect life: stay-at-home husband, kids, and a writing career totally supported by her income and her family. She writes some damn fine books, too!

Plain Truth - about an Amish girl accused of infanticide. I haKeeping Faithve read a lot about the Amish, and her creation, this dairy farm that works around the circle and cycle of a deep faith, rings true. Her characters are real and have depth and breadth, as well. Her portraits of the land, the people, and this world are genius.

I read Keeping Faith a week ago by the lake. How amazing. It, too, created a character formed by her history and changed by her present until she rises, like the phoenix, to grow, learn and heal. Ms. Picoult's portrayal of society is phenomenal.

Picture PerfectOriginally, in preparing for this monthly book review, I had read only these two books. I have been off at a DART Conference in Muskoka. Things were busy. The conference was full of reports and stories by the OPP, a psychiatrist, and Women's Violence workers. We heard gruesome 911 calls, information about PTSD experienced by women, children and BABIES who are deeply and profoundly affected by such assaults. Now home I began a new novel: picture perfect. I had no idea about its content - I just brought 4 more of Ms. Picoult's books home. It turns out that this novel clearly depicts the insidious way that male offenders creep into a woman's life, and turn from a loving, caring partner, into someone who demeans, controls and despises the woman they think they love. It has deep insight into the abuse some women face, and how difficult it is to leave the men who control them, their relationships and their finances. It is a must read for all DART workers, as well as those who love women, sisters, mothers, fathers, daughters, who have been abused.

Click on the icon below and read other Book Club Reviews!

7 comments:

David Cranmer said...

We have something in common this week (pic on my blog) but my cat doesn't sleep comfortably:) Anyway, good review that I will remember because I was thinking of a gift for my sister's birthday and this sounds perfect.

pattinase (abbott) said...

She is a writer who it is marvelous to settle in with on a rainy day. Or a sunny one.

kaye said...

she sounds like an author I need to aquaint myself with

Kathy Holmes said...

Very interesting! And what a joy to curl up with a book and a cat.

Sarah Laurence said...

I’m a Jodi Picoult fan too. I read Picture Perfect but not these other two. My favorite one was The 9th Circle. It was fun to read a 3 books by one author review. I appreciated your teasers that don’t give the story away. Nicely done!

Jenn Jilks said...

Thanks so much, Sarah. I think it important to understand the theme, as some may not want to read about particular issues.

What I like about finding an author and sticking to them is you learn about them by exploring the various books, and their treatment of the aspects of character, plot, setting. In my work as a teacher, and as Victim Services volunteer, I find that the pictures Picoult paints have such depth and breadth. And ring true!

Barrie said...

I haven't read Plain Truth, although I've pretty much read every other book written by Jodi Picoult. Plain Truth sounds totally up my alley. Thanks for joining in!