Tuesday 7 April 2009

NaPoWriMo #7 - nicknames

Nicknames...

They wound without hand
they bite, they disband

from teasing they try
to make us all cry

they hurt until weeping
the anger comes creeping

attack the defenceless
to me they seem senseless

bullies become bosses
not leaders, our losses

speak truth to power
vitriol deflower
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

For more information on bullying, please visit my portfolio. The photo is from a skit my gr. 6 class wrote and produced in 2005 in Manordale P.S.

8 comments:

angie said...

I went the same way with this one...to bullies.

I like what you did with the prompt! It was a tough one. ;)

Jenn Jilks said...

It was, Angie. I agree. I worked so hard, as a school teacher, to stop teasing and bullying. And I have terrible memories of being teased with nicknames!

Gavin said...

Nicknames can be painful. Nice work.

Rob Kistner said...

I enjoyed reading this - it was an interesting perspective...
Come meet Ziggy

Wayne Pitchko said...

nice reminder...i never thought of the nasty nicknames

Danielle Mari said...

"bullies become bosses"
A money line if ever I heard one.
Great!

Little Miss Scatterbrain said...

great poem :D

Jenn Jilks said...

Thank you, all. It is good to play with words.