Monday 23 February 2009

laundering my karma

a young adulthood spent learning to fly
ducking over and under barriers
seeking my soul
flexing my wings to soar
feathered head held high
fledgling down but a memory
graying feathers a reality

negative vibes clinging like lint
dust bunnies dancing in the sunlight
my kin launders my karma
crying rivers till waters set me free
a youth spent wallowing
hormones & angst
preparing me for the worst
losing sight of the best
the lessons have been dear

dignity my mantle
courage my mantra
blustery north winds blew me off-course
alight and preen the plumage
set my sights on hazy horizon
a wobbly course but a beacon

a little more fragile on the inside
feathers a steelier gray on the outside
those who would dare meet her in flight
see the shadows and look deeper

I'se found a mate
with strong backbone of a knight
murmuring words of grace
gentle strong arms to enfold
a noble spirit to focus energy filled light
don´t look back, he counsels
keep your eye on the horizon
anchor yourself in the present
there is only the now

5 comments:

sam said...

"keep your eye on the horizon
anchor yourself in the present
there is only the now"

another lovely poem :)

The Weaver of Grass said...

I love your poem as I also love the heron. Do you know the poetry of Edwin Morgan? He has a wonderful poem called Heron - do try and read it, I am sure, having read your poem, you would love it.

P.L. Frederick said...

I just discovered your blog by hitting the "Next Blog" button from my blog. Lovely writings. I don't know if you've come across it, but there's a blog called Readers and Writers Blog that might interest you. The guy posts and links and review items writers send his way. He's a retired newspaper writer. Have a great day!

P.L. Frederick (Small & Big)

P.L. Frederick said...

The Readers and Writers Blog will repost and link to already published poetry and stories. (Info about it here.) Might give you some additional traffic. He found my blog one day and reviewed it. I was so surprised! Anyway, glad to have come across your blog!

P.L. Frederick (Small & Big)

Jenn Jilks said...

Might be so, P.L., but they haven't posted a word since Jan. 9! Aside from traffic, I think need a speed limit sign!