Friday 13 February 2009

alumni demands

In my 30s and 40s I went back to school for an M. Ed., and this means I am officially an alumni of 3 universities: Ryerson, OttawaU, OISE/uToronto. I am forever impressed by those in their senior years earning degrees. In the last few years I took 8/10 on-line courses for an M. A. in counselling. It kept me interested, researching, and aware. Why not keep learning? I have decided to drop the M.A. to pursue my own research - why do I need another degree?! But that is another story.

This is a fun time in my life. My 3 adult children have gone to, and finished, university. am a grandma who Skypes with her kids. They are all, thankfully, gainfully employed. The joy never ends, mind you. This is the time of year they all call the alumni and parents of same, to see if, having already contributed thousands of dollars to their coffers, you want to provide a donation to keep the lamp of learning burning. As if! I am sure they need help, but I truthfully believe that if you want a degree you should jolly well pay for it yourself! In this economic climate, with the job market the way it is, perhaps college is a better choice. (My plumber earns $65/hour!)

But I digress. On the phone, I am afraid I am curt: we're retired, broke and my own alumni associations are begging for dollars! I tell the lovely young people that, yes, my contact information is the same (you reached me by phone, didn't you?) and NO, we would not move without telling you so that you could phone me 2 -3 times a year and beg for my hard-earned pension dollars! (Severely curtailed by greedy investors who have brought the market down. Taxpayers who demand lower taxes and better services. Budgets that do not help those without means. Yes, another blog post!)

Then, in the mail, I received another offer: two a credit card offers to help support these groups. 'As if' x's 2! Two of my higher learning institutions want a percentage of my pension and spending, to help them prop up universities supported by my tax dollars. Does this make sense? They ended up in my fireplace. How is it that the credit card companies continues to bleed us dry with high interest rates for people who cannot afford nor use credit cards?

4 comments:

The Weaver of Grass said...

Agree absolutely with what you say - credit card companies seem to bombard you with offers regardles of whether you can pay the interest or not. I try only to use mine when necessary and always pay it off before I incur any interest.

Jenn Jilks said...

Me too, WoG! This is part of the problem. They are doing customers dirty, luring them in, increasing limits that cause further issues.

The interest rates are appalling, too. They increase your interest, some of them, if you don't pay it off on a regular basis - as if that helps!

In Canada some were talking about the government limiting interest rates to 21%. Really sad how the almighty dollar drives corporations.

Frank Baron said...

I graduated from Western in 1974 and still get biannual phone calls and bimonthly letters entreating me to donate.

Frankly, I feel under absolutely no obligation to do so. While a student there, I was a faceless number. Suddenly, after graduating, I'm a person.

Phooey.

giggles said...

My college experience was very different... Being a "legacy child" of a small liberal arts college (Kenyon) I consider myself lucky to have been able to go there....As the daughter of an alum (twice, Dad went their for undergrad and seminary) who had ok enough grades, I still believe I only got in 'cuz dad went there.... (I suspect a good part on their dime, too... I think Episcopal priests back then didn't make much money....) So when Kenyon calls, I give, not much, but gratefully, in hopes that one not as well off as myself will benefit from the education from this well regarded institution.

Jenn, thanks for your visits and advice....I will acquiesce (sp?) to the squirrels....