Tuesday 20 January 2009

sign, sign, everywhere a sign...

In Muskoka they are debating the issue of signage along the highways. There is some debate at the municipal level on the unsightly billboards that dot the highway. Does no one remember the old song?

♪♫ Sign, sign, everywhere a sign...♪♫ I created a YouTube video showing the signs I found in the area. (See it here, or check it out below!)

I find that there is far more than is necessary and destroys the scenic views. Some are necessary, some are temporary, some warn of danger, some help with havigation, some help with safety, but others are just irritating. I'm not sure I'd use a plumber (at $65/hour) whose billboard dotted the highway!

I saw a blog the other day talking about google ads on their blog, Between Friends. I find that these ads are the same as the billboards. Are they necessary? I think some are and some are not. If you are blogging to make money, then that diminishes the importance of this site in my estimation.
Everyone want to make a buck.

With these ads you only make money if someone clicks on said ad. And you need some bizarre number of clicks before you make a dime. Some absolutely refuse to use them, while others seem to make money.

Actually, I made 8 cents when I posted and accepted ads during one month.
When I saw a google ad for '100s of Asian Women' on someone else's blog, I dumped it! It looked cheap and detracted from the site! In my opinion, it demeans a site. I loathe visiting major companies, especially media outlets like CBC or Oprah, for example, and having to send my way through ads. You can see that despite many comments, and 1700 profile views, unless people click on the ads you do not make money.

The worst ads are the ones that take forever to load dynamic content, and slow your page. The google ads, at least, are small and succinct.

The ones on my ontarioseniors.blogspot were quite rational, the ones I noticed, but since you need a million 'clicks' to make a few cents off of it, I decided I'd delete it! The purpose of my site is to educate my readers, not make them buy something they might not need, or send them to an American website with content that is inappropriate for them.

It didn't necessarily lead people to acceptable sites, nor did they lead to reputable or local businesses. They use your blog content to attach appropriate and relevant ad content, but you just never know what they will post. Others have found that the ads don't match well and don't bring in much income. Some have gotten nothing but grief for 'spamming' the ads. Google has particular rules.

I have dumped them. It leaves more space for my own photos and sidebars.

1 comment:

Junosmom said...

In four years, I have "made" about $78. Of course, I don't see that money until it tops $100. I did make 93 cents today.