Sunday 14 December 2008

Random Acts of Kindness

This morning CBC featured a group trying to put a little love back into the world. Their Dec. 14th web post says,

"Darius Bashar is the site's co-founder. He joined guest host Karen Horman to talk about using social networks to make the world a better place...one act of kindness at a time. Learn more at the Daily Challenge website."
What an intriguing revision of the original RAK, on the RAK Foundation site. RAK has become a popular notion since its inception. An Amazon.ca search brought up 40 books on RAK.

I recall driving across a toll booth, one of the suggestions in the book I read (see image!), and paid for the person's car behind me. It was so much fun!

My students were right with me. We began complimenting each other and writing each other and found more and more websites with more ideas.

For parents I sent home: An Affirmation of our children.I practiced this in February in my classroom that year. I found a free poster and it encouraged us. It was a pleasant way to spend Valentine's Day week and provided writing activities.

A s I peruse the site, I have had some doubts, though. Some of the challenges seem to be far less that RAK, and more visions of the world as it could be. For example, they suggest turning off your computer when you leave work. What is with this? This should be a mandatory part of your day. Another: "drink at least a litre of water today". Really? That notion is outdated and has been determined to be unnecessary to one's health. How does that help another person? Or, "opt for more exercise today". I rather believe that the RAK ought to involve people in social situations.

Manners seem to be a thing of the past. I have blogged previously about this, with the lack of "Thank you", in society. During the radio interview Darius suggested that we say hello to the security guard, for example. I wonder if this should not be a part of daily practice?

It occurs to me that we are asking people to step up to the plate to be kind, when it is truly good manners. I adore my husband's manner in social, or business settings. On our 7th date he took me out. When we got out of the taxi he said to the driver, "Thank you, sir!" I was so impressed. Being uncertain of myself, not a user of taxis, I was a bit nervous. I realized what a simple, polite things we can do for everyone. The driver must have been around his age. I have tried to practice this simply idea since.

I make sure that I find a good thing to say to everyone I meet when provided with goods and services. It makes them a bit more friendly. I ask 'how are you today?" If they look a bit harried I try to reflect this back to them. I like to empathize if they appear overworked and tired. I often ask if their shift is nearly over. I worked as a cashier for two days a week and understand what customers can be like. I try to act positive when in the other position. It is not easy. Annie's Cafe always has people with a smile. I feel as if I am a special guest, not paying customer.

When I drive, I am not usually in a hurry and will slow down when conditions are ripe for them to pass or I will pull over to let speedy drivers pass. It seems only good manners and a safe way of being proactive. I cannot stand the incidents of road rage. There is no reason for it! I have often made a mistake driving and had a driver give me an ugly look (or finger) and have no way to apologize. People are quick to judge and consider me aggressive or berate me with their horn.

I think we all should simply act our age and not our shoe size. Show simple respect and treat others the way we would like to be treated. The seemingly old fashioned 'do unto others' would stand us all in good stead. The Ethic of Reciprocity is a good one, found in texts and religious precepts. Let us be kinder and happier. Make the choice.

2 comments:

DiamondVVV1 said...

Love your blog, and this post especially. I am hoping that eventually RAK won't be something we have to be told to do, that they are part of who we are.

Cloudia said...

Great post! Yes, let's thank the people who we see everyday.
Sounds like ALOHA to me! Cloudia