Saturday 4 October 2008

Federal Debate Deconstruction

Parry Sound - Muskoka candidates
I do not believe anyone can objectively analyse the Canadian Federal election debate in terms of party policy, candidate performance, and who are the 'winners & losers'. I do believe it important to deconstruct the process. Anyone I have heard speaking to this issue, or writing about it, reflects their previous bias on their personal candidate preference. Our local debate showed me how my local candidates handled themselves in a pressure situation. This gives me lots of information. Another person blogged about HIS local debate in North Bay. This is an excellent development in the use of technology, as long as you trust those who are posting, but I digress.

Many are saying that candidate X, Y, or Z 'performed well'. I think that they all went in, guided by their handlers and advisers, and achieved what they set out to do. That does not mean that they swayed any of viewers who had already made up their minds, i.e., those who were critical of Mr. Harper's demeanor must have missed the point. Those who like him said he was being confident, tough, strong and didn't want to get sucked into defending himself, and risk losing his temper. Those who do not like his politics labelled him aloof, overconfident and snarky. The other candidates did well at reflecting on his performance and his mistakes in the thrust and parry of such an event. This is their role. Some say M. Dion was the big loser, others

If you are interested in what was said, Basen & Gray kept up a point-by-point outline of the progress of the debate. This is helpful for those who cannot bother reading or following party platforms and allows you to make your own judgement. The National Post had a live blog on the debate.

I listened to Rex Murphy in conversation with Peter Mansbridge, on The National, as they examined the structure of the debate. Mr. Murphy felt that this aspect of the debate a failure. I most heartily disagree!

I thought Steve Paikin did an admirable job refereeing and allowing some spunk into the event. The American debate for President and Vice-President were quite tame, in retrospect. I wanted to see sparks as my potential politicians and public leaders, and potential opposition leaders, rose to the occasion to confront the government, their policy and Mr. Harper's lack of platform. For me he balanced the right amount of reins but let us see their spirits.

I liked being able to see around the table. I will not reproduce the photo, as this violates copyright laws!) Seeing them in the circle is a not-so-subtle message that we are on this ride together. It made for interesting viewing IMHO. My hope is that these party leaders can work together post-election, to create a government that will pass policies that will work for the electorate. Based on WLU seat projections and CBC polls, if we accept that sort of thing, there will be a Conservative minority.

No comments: