Monday 29 September 2008

Women in Government

Things are looking up. More women than ever before are running for this Federal election.

  • Liberals are running 113 women: 37%
  • NDP 104 women, or 34%
  • Bloc Quebecois : 21 women, 28%.
  • Green Party: 89 women, or 29%
  • Conservatives: 60 women, just 20%
  • Independents: another 50 women: 27%
I have concerns, mind you. I recall entering my chosen profession, teaching, in the late 80s. At this time women were keen to aspire to positions of added responsibility (PAR). In fact, if you did not try to claw your way to the top you were frowned upon and it was intimated that you should do better.

I worked for my union, Carleton Elementary Teachers, I found it interesting working part-time (occasional teaching) and having time for professional work as well as my young children.

Once I found a full time job I chose, instead, to concern myself about my three children. There was a lot of peer pressure aimed at forcing women to step up. In my school board, at the time Carleton B. E., we had a long line of women who rose to these PAR spots at the rate of principals of, as I recall about 65%. We had one of the first superintendents to go off on maternity leave. They were a driven group. I decided not to go this route. I did not want to burn out. Having stayed home with my children in the early years the penalty on my pension and early retirement, as well as a lower salary upon retirement not having gone for a PAR, means that my pension is about 25% of my last year's salary. It is a penalty I can live with.

1 comment:

L.L. Barkat said...

Children. Precious. I'm glad I've been able to spend time with mine too.