Wednesday 2 January 2008

Wolf Alert

It is glorious out walking in the dusk. I keep an eye out for the wolf who appeared last week. He seemed to be looking for our turkey vultures - the cycle of life ...
You can see its footprint in the snow as it trekked across the lake. I am always stirred by the colours, the shades and shadows, as well as the creatures who continue to survive in the minus double-digit temperatures.

This morning the blue jays were puffed up for warmth. I had filled the feeders last thing the night before - I knew it would be a cold -10 or so and they would be hungry. counted 5 jays negotiating for a spot at the feeder. The squirrels, in that endless hide and seek game, had wee faces covered in snow as they doggy-dug trying to find buried seed or peanuts. They are a hungry lot today and I may give them all a second sympathy feed. The rest of us are on diets, but we don't have to live outdoors. I am glad for no yard duty anymore. Supervising inadequately dressed teens, hell-bent on jockeying for yard position, was no fun. I spend longer outdoors now, but it is my choice and can move around, take photos, and explore nature.

No comments: