Sunday 29 July 2007

Eency weency spider


July 29, 2007
For the third day in a row a wicked spider has made a web. The web runs from the deck, about two metres off the ground, diagonally across the path to the plant beside the deck, about ¾ of a metre off of the ground. The web must be a meter wide. It is quite strong and the spider must be quite serious. I mentally thought it stupid to build it in the same place overnight three times in three days only to have a human break it each time. Then, in telling my story to my husband, he tells me he has come across the web and broken it, too. I realized that this spider must have made and remade the web many times with a tenacity and determination that assures me it must be catching prey.
As I reflected further, I thought that the spider is not the stupid one. I am the one diligently pursing ignorance as I repeatedly walk through a spider web three days in a row.

"Stupidity is the active pursuit of ignorance."

"I pledge allegiance to the World, to cherish every Living Thing, to care for Earth and Sea and Air, with Peace and Freedom everywhere."
--Lillian Genser, Women’s International League for Peace and Freedom

No comments: